Thursday, August 4, 2011

Challenge 1, Day 9 - Grilled Zucchini Roll-up


These were a last minute add too my list.  Having some people over last night for a knitting night, I wanted to make something fun for the evening.  I found these.  They looked easy to make so I gave it a shot.



You need:
3 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 ounces bagged baby spinach (2 cups lightly packed)
1/3 cup basil leaves


Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices.  I use a mandolin.  Makes it easier and the slices more even.



Brush the zucchini with oil.  You can also use cooking spray to coat the slices.  Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on each side.

If you have a grill or a griddle, i strongly recommend you use this to grill your zucchini slices.  Grill for about 4 minutes on each side.   I use a George formen so it takes me a little longer as I can only do two slices at a time.  

Grill until tender but be sure not to over cook so that the zucchini is mushy and unforgiving.  


With a fork, mash together the goat cheese, parsley and lemon together in a bowl.  I used a honey infused goat cheese that made it a little sweeter.  I also didn't have fresh parsley on hand but I strongly recommend using fresh parsley if you can.


Place about 1/2 teaspoon of cheese mixture about 1/2 inch from one end of the zucchini. Top with spinach leaves and basil.


Roll the zucchini, starting at the end with the cheese, spinach, and basil.


Once rolled, place seam side down on a platter.


I used a toothpick for stability and presentation but its not necessary.

You can prepare these in advance and serve within a day if you prefer.  You may also save the grilled zucchini for up to a day before stuffing if you prefer.  Store in an air tight container.

I served these at Knitting Night and they were a hit.  Very delicious,  light and uber healthy.  I realized in  offering them to my guests that they are vegetarian, gluten free and wheat free appetizers... I got asked both and realized they were.  I often find most appetizers contain at least one of those three items.  


ENJOY

Share your thoughts, recommendations, etc! I want to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...